Saturday, October 31, 2009

Dinner on the Table in 25 Mins or Less

I’ve received a few cookbooks as gifts from concerned family members over the years. My favorite – Any Blonde Can Cook – illustrates just how little faith they have in my cooking ability.

Personally, I feel like a fish out of water in the kitchen, which is one reason I usually avoid cooking. (The other being my fail-to-success ratio weighing heavily on the fails).

Tackling a new recipe can be a daunting experience. But the truth is, if you can follow directions, you can cook. The catch is understanding what you’re reading.

That’s pretty much the extent of my cooking ability. I can usually follow a recipe without incident, providing I can comprehend the terminology.

I find cookbooks with illustrations or a glossary of foreign cooking terms are helpful. When in doubt (which is usually at least once per recipe), I refer to an online Food Dictionary.

But some of the best meals I’ve ever tasted have been intuitive creations. This is how my fiancé cooks. So many times I’ve seen him open the cabinets, survey possible ingredients and whip up a delicious meal on the spot.

Determined to reach that level of cooking, I started paying closer attention to the meal descriptions on menus when I’m out to eat.

If you’re as clueless as me, reading menus is a great way to get ideas of possible flavor combinations. And it was this technique that inspired one of my only intuitive creations: Naan Pizza.

It’s incredibly easy and pretty quick. It also has the potential to be a relatively healthy meal – compared to ordering a traditional pizza.

All you have to do is put the Naan bread on a cookie sheet or baking stone. Next add your sauce, followed by your choice of toppings and cheese. Finally, put the tray in the oven at 400°F for 10-15 minutes or until the edges look golden brown.

To get you started brainstorming ideas, here are a few of my personal favorites.

Lasagna Pizza
Marinara sauce

Chopped or sliced meat balls (already cooked)

Ricotta cheese

Mozzarella cheese


Chicken Pesto Pizza
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Pesto
Fresh garlic

Small pieces of chicken (already cooked)

Fresh mozzarella cheese

Shredded parmesan cheese


Four cheese pizza
Extra virgin olive oil

Fresh mozzarella cheese

Goat cheese
Parmesan cheese

Fontina cheese

Tomato slices


Everything Pizza
Peppers (bell and/or hot)

Tomato slices

Spinach
Broccoli

Onion

Olives
Chicken (already cooked)

Feta cheese

Parmesan cheese

Mozzarella cheese

*Consider adding mushrooms – I’m personally not a fan, but have heard they make a nice addition.


Getting Started

Ready to Bake

The Finished Product

6 comments:

  1. Naan pizza is the greatest! Since you introduced me to it, I make it at least once a week. I'm going to get a baking stone to make them on now too. That's two things you've brought into the life of this 8 year domestic veteran - does that make me the padawan now? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish! I know Chris will love this. I'll have to give it a try! -MM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello lady! I hope you had a fabulous birthday! I love that you posted about Naan pizzas because all of a sudden, Wegman's has Naan displays all over the place. I've been thinking about purchasing one, but now that I've read your lovely blog, I am ready for the challenge. I miss you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks tasty! I vote you make it for the MarCom Potluck Holiday party! (I think that's what MK & Co. decided to have.) Dare I suggest you're becoming domestically efficient?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So tired of cooking every night. It might be time that someone who is NOT Domestically Deficient take your advise and try these recipes. They look great and seem easy enough.
    Hey maybe you will be writing a cookbook soon!!

    ReplyDelete