Friday, December 10, 2010

Soup Night

As soon as the weather started getting cold, M. & I created our newest wintertime tradition -- soup night. Every week, one night -- typically Tuesday -- is designated soup night. We take turns cooking and this week was my turn.

I based my soup off of the Food Network's Butternut Squash Soup recipe (guess I'm still on that orange kick). The recipe says it's intermediate, but if you have an immersion blender, I'd bump it down to "any domestically deficient can knock this out of the park." Seriously. E.A.S.Y.

You need:
  • One large butternut squash
  • A medium onion (I used 4 little yellow onions, because that's what I had in the fridge)
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • 6 cups of chicken broth (I made it with chicken bouillon powder, because that's easier to keep on hand)
  • Spices
Directions:
  • Cut your butternut squash and onion.
  • Saute your onion in butter, then add the squash and broth and let it cook for a while.
  • After 20 or so minutes, run the immersion blender (even leave some chunks, they taste great)
  • Toss in a few spices -- I used Tastefully Simple's Onion Onion, Garlic Garlic and Seasoned Salt, plus some pepper.
With recipes this simple and tasty, there's really no excuse for not eating healthy, home cooked meals.

Next up: split pea and ham. M. recently mentioned that he really likes it. Has anybody ever made that? I'm debating between recipes from allrecipes.com, cooks.com, and Emeril Lagasse on foodnetwork.com.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Advice?

2 comments:

  1. I use this recipe, just replace the sausage with cubed ham steak. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robin-miller/slow-cooker-split-pea-soup-with-chorizo-recipe/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to start soup night in my house! This one sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete