Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Fail: Fiance’s Laundry

I was home one morning waiting for the cable guy to show up and install my cherished cable, DVR and wireless Internet. With no technology to entertain me, I decided to tackle our piles of laundry.

I should note – I showed my fiancé where I set up our communal laundry basket several times. Each time he said, “ok, thanks” but continued to throw his stuff in his own laundry basket. I just figured he must have a really short term memory. So on laundry day, I brought both baskets down to the laundry room and got to work.

I’m not big on separating colors. My method is simple: all nice clothes in cold water; towels, sheets, gym clothes, socks and undies in hot.

I was nearly finished (and quite proud of myself) when my phone rang.

Fiancé : Hey, what are you up to?
Me: (enthusiastically) Laundry!
Fiancé: Ohhh, ok… Well just leave mine upstairs. You don’t have to do it. I’ll get to it later this week.
Me: (still enthusiastic) Well I was going to surprise you, but I already did yours, too!
Fiancé: (pause) Oh. (pause) You did? You didn’t wash my t-shirts in hot water or dry them on high heat, did you?
Me: Um, no (LIE!), why?

Opps! Apparently men’s undershirts shrink easily in high heat and my fiancé isn’t a fan of too tight, belly baring t-shirts. Who can blame him?

I should have known he doesn’t actually have a short term memory at all. He knew exactly what he was doing when he kept his laundry separate. It was his way of keeping me from ruining his clothes without hurting my feelings.

Guess I missed the memo on that one!

4 comments:

  1. On a positive note...Christmas is on its way and you can give him new, fresh, PRE-SHRUNK Cotton T-shirts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL That's funny. I enjoy your laundry method. That is why Susie still insists on doing mine when I bring it home with me on the weekends. {I know, I know. I'm 24 and should not let me mom still do my laundry!} Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha aw! You are so cute. And let me tell you, I have been THERE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was reminded over the holiday of a great ironing tip...Never lay the Iron down when hot on a flat surface like a television. It will melt through the tv. But if you catch it quick enough you can pull the iron out, clean it off, and duck tape w/ black duck tape the whole. If I remember correctly it was months before my husband even noticed! The tv is still working 15 year later!!

    ReplyDelete