Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Brie in a Bread Bowl

Seriously one of M's best creations.

All you need is a loaf of sour dough bread, a chunk of brie, butter, jam or preserves, and fresh fruit.

M and I use this recipe for dinner. It's perfect with a little side salad. I think it's enough for two -- we can never finish ours.

I've never served it as an appetizer, though it could probably be used as one. The only issue is that sometimes it's a little messy to cut. Perfect presentation would be challenging, but not impossible.
  1. Preheat the oven to 375
  2. Remove the center of the sour dough bread to form a bread bowl. Save the top!
  3. Place the bread bowl and top on a baking tray, or a baking stone if you have one.
  4. Melt butter and coat the inside of the bread bowl, as well as the top that you removed.
  5. Spread jam around the outside crust. I've used my homemade strawberry, blueberry and raspberry. I've also used store bought raspberry preserves and mango jelly. All have been delish. This step is really personal preference.
  6. Toss the brie in the center. Remove the rind if you wish. If your chunk is triangular instead of circular, you may want to cut it into two or three pieces for even melting.
  7. Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes. Then watch it from there.
  8. When the brie is melted and the bread is toasted, it's good to go!
  9. Serve with fresh fruit. Apples, grapes, mango, papaya all go well. Berries are a nice addition.
  10. ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow, I am totally trying this - hopefully this weekend! I've made brie in pastry many times, but never thought to put it in bread. Genius! I could live on brie...and wine...and chocolate, of course.

    ReplyDelete