Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What's the opposite of hoarding?

Sometimes I think watching TLC makes me a better person. I watched the Half-Ton Dad special last weekend and immediately put down the cookie I was about to consume. I also recently caught part of a Hoarding: Buried Alive marathon and it seriously. Freaks. Me. Out. On the plus side, it motivates me to do a big house clean out several times a year.

I think it's officially safe to say, we're definitely not hoarders in our house. In fact, at the rate we're going, we might just find ourselves in a bare house some day.

We had an unusually warm day on New Year's Eve. It climbed into the 60s. In Pittsburgh. In late December. It was the perfect day to open up the windows and air out the house one last time before winter really sets in.

I really do hate cleaning up Christmas. But I also can't stand to see Christmas decorations much past New Year's. This year, the warm weather helped lift my spirits as we tossed out the tree and packed up the Santas (though I was singing It's the least wonderful time of the year the entire time).

It was a job well done. The house is clean and without clutter. Plus I even organized behind the scenes. I love having organized cabinets, drawers, shelves, storage areas. The perfect way to start off 2011.

My first organizing and cleaning tips of the new year:
  • Start organizing one thing and finish it completely before tackling another area.
  • If your vacuum has a brush that attaches to the hose, use it to dust. Works like a charm.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip on the vaccuum brush! I love organizing and cleaning and watching hoarders just makes me want to clean even more lol I also watched half ton dad and teen last weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hoarders show makes me so sad. Watching how they agonize over throwing away the smallest thing really gets me. On the flip side it definitely makes me want to clean and organize my place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoarders has the same effect on me! I panic and start throwing tons of stuff out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm organizing everything in sight. Makes me feel so good to have things in order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! I am the same way. I watch it and then I obsessively.must.clean. :) Cute blog. I'm adding you to my google reader

    ReplyDelete